Re: X11 version

On Sat, Mar 20, 1999 at 08:32:24 +0100, Matthias Pfisterer wrote:
> But i had some trouble with X configuration. Debian currently uses XFree
> 3.3.2. I needed 3.3.3.1 for support of my graphics adapter(Matrox G100). I
> looked for the next, unstable release of debian and noticed that it also
> uses 3.3.2. This is somewhat annoying to me, since i would expect the
> latest version of XFree at least in the release currently prepared.

Software doesn't appear by magic in Debian; it takes volunteer effort. The
Debian X maintainer has been quite busy doing the Great X Reorganization in
time for the release of Debian 2.1. He's now working on 3.3.3.1.

In the meantime, unofficial 3.3.3.1 debs are available.

> On the other hand, if the reason is a lack of volunteer work, please tell
> me also; i perhaps will do it.

I'm sure Branden would appreciate help; see the X Strike Force page
(http://master.debian.org/~branden/xsf.html) for how you can help.

HTH,
Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking