Re: Listserver concerns

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman-debian-devel@debian.org> writes:

> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:
> > From what I've seen, Listar is far more capable than Mailman.
>
> In what areas, specifically, or perhaps just as important, from whose
> perspective?

Specifically, all I've seen that Mailman has that Listar doesn't is
the web-based admin tool (and one is already in the works for
Listar).  I've already posted information on the topic here, but
Listar's advantges include per-user flags (ie, "set digest" to turn on
the digest or "unset echopost" to not get a copy of one's own
messages), modular design (like Apache, third-party modules can be
loaded at run-time), versatile command processing (its syntax will, in
most cases, accomodate any syntax people normally use with Majordomo,
Listserv, or Smartlist to name a few), and virtual domains with or
without complete isolation of the lists in them.

> When I looked at the two of them, listar struck me as an excellent
> (and seemingly very efficient) reimplementation of the functionality
> Majordomo has caused people to come to expect, while mailman seemed to
> cover the same bases but threw in web-based administration and
> integrated archiving, perhaps at the cost of some performance
> (compared to listar, not majordomo, which it seems to equal or
> surpass).

Both Listar and Majordomo have archiving support.

> But I would like to hear if listar has something that makes it really
> superior.

Listar provides lots of *POWER*.  It's like Linux.  People that are
not morons will appreciate it.  You can customize things to a great
extent.  Your subscribers can customize how, and even whether, they
get mail.  It has modes to automatically process all bounces, and it
knows the difference between a bounce caused by a transient failure
and one caused by a permanent failure, and can employ separate
heuristics for each.

Another advantage is that the Listar authors are very responsive, and
Listar's architecture makes it easy to add any specific feature that
may be needed.