Re: Listserver concerns

On 19 Mar 1999, John Goerzen wrote:

> Listar).  I've already posted information on the topic here, but
> Listar's advantges include per-user flags (ie, "set digest" to turn on
> the digest or "unset echopost" to not get a copy of one's own
> messages),

Mailman knows this.

> versatile command processing (its syntax will, in
> most cases, accomodate any syntax people normally use with Majordomo,
> Listserv, or Smartlist to name a few), and virtual domains with or
> without complete isolation of the lists in them.

And these too.

> Listar provides lots of *POWER*.  It's like Linux.  People that are
> not morons will appreciate it.  You can customize things to a great
> extent.  Your subscribers can customize how, and even whether, they
> get mail.  It has modes to automatically process all bounces, and it
> knows the difference between a bounce caused by a transient failure
> and one caused by a permanent failure, and can employ separate
> heuristics for each.

Mailman knows all these, except that it still has some problems with
bounces generated by some MTA-s. Could be fixed :)

So I did not see much about listar features that mailman does not have. :)

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/