Re: We can halve volume by not allowing nondevelopers to post

"Steve Lamb" <morpheus@rpglink.com> writes:

       Exactly.  Here's my point.  Your "clued developer" is the one who is
   hitting reply-to and not trimming.  In fact, both you and Ben, with PGP keys
   in the developer ring and thus, I assume, a "clued developer", did a
   reply-to-all and didn't trim.

How does reducing CC: traffic to individuals reduce traffic on
debian-devel?  I don't see any direct connection.  Sure, sending mail
*just* to a single developer reduce traffic, but sending mail to the
list versus the list plus a single developer doesn't make any
difference at all.

Currently, people choose `reply' or `group reply' to reply to a single
developer or the list, respectively.  You propose to make everyone
choose `reply' to reply to the list.  How does that help?  It just
makes replying more difficult, and many mailreaders, despite your
assertions, will default to replying to the entire list anyway.

FWIW, I prefer people to CC: me on replies to lists I'm subscribed to.
It appears in my personal box that way, rather than the list mailbox,
so I'm sure to read it.  Admittedly, there is probably a way to
configure this to happen for replies that aren't CC:'d, but I don't
have it set up.
--
"Let others praise ancient times; I am glad I was born in these."
--Ovid (43 BC-18 AD)