Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 06:37:23AM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Jens Lisner wrote:
> > distribution. At least some texts have to be commented. Or do you want
> > "Mein Kampf" in your distribution?
>
> Yes, I would like Mein Kampf in our distribution.  While not agreeing with
> it, I feel its important for people to be able to see for themselves this
> document that had a huge historical impact. Do you know its censored here in
> Canada?  We Canadians can't even read it and decide for ourselves.  I say no
> to censorship.
>
> If you don't know what led up to the mistakes of the past, how can you learn
> from them?

This isn't about censorship, this is about Debian being a software
distribution. As for the bible arguments, it is distributed as an add-on
(iirc) for fortune which makes it work with a system related program. The
anarchist package is nothing more than an html mirror.

If we don't draw a line, we will have OCR fanatics scanning in all kinds
of material and packaging the entire library.

OpenLDAP Core - bcollins@openldap.org                 bcollins@debian.org
UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems         The Choice of the GNU Generation