Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

Ben Collins <bmc@it.larc.nasa.gov> writes:

> This isn't about censorship, this is about Debian being a software
> distribution. As for the bible arguments, it is distributed as an
> add-on (iirc) for fortune which makes it work with a system related
> program. The anarchist package is nothing more than an html mirror.

Frankly, I have no problem with Debian becoming "one-stop shopping"
for large quantities of the interesting stuff on the internet.  Would
I have found the jargon file if it hadn't been packaged?  Maybe, but
maybe not.

I'd like to have some of the ebooks packaged up and available.  It's
much easier to let someone else handle making the .debs and getting
the files in the right places with the right permissions.  This will
be more important as we get our multi-machine admin stuff going.  What
if you're a school that wants to install 1000 Debian machines.
Arguably it's a lot easier to just install the debian etexts (or
whatever) that you want on one machine and then tell the other
machines to clone it (with whatever our fancy admin tool ends up
being) than to have to go get, package, install, and distribute this
stuff yourself.  Further, with .debs, you get fixes for free.

With apt, this is a non-issue anyway.  What we probably should do is
put this stuff in a separate tree so people not interested can ignore
it, or we can let people keep it on some other server.  Either way, if
someone wants to package the stuff, I say let them.