Re: slink resc1440 disk does not work on 1GB memory machine

David Welton <davidw@master.debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 05:11:09PM -0800, David Bristel wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if this issue is being addressed by Linus and Co.?
> > Seems that if it's doable, that it should be a part of the stock
> > kernel, or an option.

> davidw@------- [~] $ free
> Mem:       1032408     262256     770152       9448     161120      16912

> I'm not the one who installed the kernel, though.. (it's a redhat
> box:-/).  I think there is a patch out there.

Probably in the source RPM. :)

Red Hat has been known to patch their kernels.  (Typically device
driver fixes or security fixes.)

Speaking of kernels, we really should look into having multiple
kernels in out next release.  Red Hat doesn't do this yet, but
UltraPenguin does.  In particular, both SMP and non-SMP kernels, and
an APM-enabled kernel for laptops.  (A stock debian kernel will lock
up a laptop if you close the cover.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu