Re: Volume on -devel

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Jim Freeman wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 07:24:44PM +0100, Davide G. M. Salvetti wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > IJ> I renew my call for -devel to be closed to non-developer postings.
> >
> > I support your call: why don't you make a formal proposal out of it?
>
> What alternative mechanisms do you propose for acclimating
> developers-in-embryo to debian development?  Easing in via
> lurking seems to be a normal mode  of entry ...

At the risk of offending, as one of the non-developers lurking on this
list, I think the value to the developer-in-embryo is very real. I'm
trying to figure out a way to contribute and learn some of the issues of
Debian development.  I also think that non-developers have no business
posting to the list except in rare circumstances. There may also be a few
special people who are not Debian developers who have some business
interacting on this list. I believe Ian's proposal was to close the list
to non-developer "posting", not necessarily receiving. Excuse the opinion,
I'll go back to lurk mode.