Re: /usr/share

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 05:00:43PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On 17 Mar 1999, John Goerzen wrote:
>
> > As I recall, the whole idea behind /usr/share, and indeed /usr itself,
> > is that it can be NFS-mounted in a read-only fashion by other
> > computers on a network.  This is certainly a great idea, but I have to
> > ask: why does Debian not support this?
> It's a very interesting question.  In fact you can dive deeper that
> you can say also /usr could be shared between boxes of the same
> architecture and I did so with two poor 486 Linux boxes which got
> their /usr from an NFS-mounted HP server.  It was in fact really
> tricky to install (dpkg uses df to determine diskspace, because
> of the long path the diskspace value swapped over to the next line so
> I had to install a patched df) and to get /etc in sync.  I did
> helped me with lots of symlinks in the /etc directory but it
> was a dirty hack and not what Debian is supposed to be:  A perfectly
> clean system.
>
> I think we should work on this problem.

Don't know about this, but i seem to remember some discution about this, and
info on people doing disk sharing with debian, on the mailing lists, i think
back before hamm release. I think i remember that there where a set of packages
specialy for that purpose, but am not sure, other will surely write more about
it, but in the meantime, you can check the archives.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER