Re: Device detection? [Summary]

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 12:45:47PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Michael Stone wrote:
> > > Why are these necessarily related to the ISA bus? I've got all kinds of
> > > MIPS and Sparc machines with serial/parallel ports, and I don't _think_
> > > they have an ISA bus.
> >
> > This discussion is in the context of the PC architecture.
>
> Regardless of the context, I don't see why you have to ditch serial and
> parallel ports if you get rid of ISA. There are still a lot of legacy
> devices out there and a PCI serial/parallel adapter can't cost that
> much.

Well, I don't understand the AT/XT architectures.

However, my limited understanding is that currently serial and parallel
ports are always reached by well-known IRQs and well-known port locations,
via the ISA bus.  I don't know of a supported way to put them on the PCI
bus instead.

New BIOSes support USB, I believe.

Jules