Re: Perl 5.005 package

Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
> *cuts and pastes from IRC with a bit of editing*
>
> New package set, perl5.005, Provides: perl, Conflicts: perl (<< 5.
> 004.04-7) (or some such), uses versioned directorys, provides binary
> perl5.005, uses alternatives for who gets the 'perl' binary.
>
> New package set, perl5.004, same basic setup as current, minor changes
> to coexist with new system (binary is perl5.004 with alternatives).
>
> New upgrade dummy package (ala xbase) set, perl, depends perl5.004.
>
> Upgrade-able from slink/hamm/... in pieces cleanly!
>
> Able to coexist with perl5.006 when its released, etc..
>
> A little extra work now, plenty of examples:
> <doogie> Mercury: tell him to look at xbase, and/or
> netscape-[sd]motif-<ver>
>
> Problem solved as far as I can see, any problems to point out?

Zeb has the right solution, I feel. My only nitpick is that you don't need
to rename perl to perl5.004, you just make perl5.005 conflict with perl (<=
5.004.04-2), and upload a perl 5.004.04-3 that uses update-alternatives so
it can cooexist with perl5.005.

(Oh yeah, and this all has to apply to perl-base as well, but I suppose that
goes w/o saying.)

--
see shy jo