Re: Game for Linux

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 shaleh@clifford.livenet.net wrote:

> I understand why 5 is not ok, but why is 6?  He just wants to know how and who
> is using his code, he nevers says you can't.  Just tell him.  That seems
> resonable.  Debian just mails him once, saying hey we are packaging your
> softwre, and whamo, done.  Debian developers do this already, this is just an
> explicit request.

All the Debian CD distributors would have to send the mail too, the way
it's worded. There's nothing in main right now that requires
special-casing like that. Anyway it's a bad precedent. The license clause
is a pointless burden on distributors - if everyone has their favorite
little clause like this distributing software becomes a big pain. It's
comparable to the BSD advertising clause.

<gripe>I don't know why people can't just use an existing license instead
of making up their own. You're on better legal ground that way and save
everyone a lot of trouble, plus your code can be reused in other
projects.</gripe>

Havoc