Re: Game for Linux

shaleh@clifford.livenet.net wrote:
> I understand why 5 is not ok, but why is 6?  He just wants to know how and who
> is using his code, he nevers says you can't.  Just tell him.  That seems
> resonable.  Debian just mails him once, saying hey we are packaging your
> softwre, and whamo, done.  Debian developers do this already, this is just an
> explicit request.

What if, 10 years from now, I want to put Terroid in JoeyLinux and sell it,
and the Michael's have vanished and cannot be contacted. The license would
prevent me from selling it then. Hence I'd say this is non-free in general.

6. The authors Michael Thayer and Michael Haar are to be informed,
   preferable by electronic mail, when this software is distributed
   commercially.  A single notification is required for any given
   distribution, and explicit copies of that distribution (e.g. for all
   resellers of a given Linux distribution).

Also, I think it's unclear what it means by "distribution". Is debian 2.2 a
different distribution than debian 2.3? If so, I'd have to write Michael
again when 2.3 came out.

[ Follows up debian-legal, please. ]

--
see shy jo