Re: non-us

On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 07:34:48PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> >It would seem that we should have a non-us section in each of main,
> >contrib, and non-free, since many people would like to use non-US
> >software, while still maintaining an entirely free system. And no, saying
> >"look at /usr/doc/package/copyright" is not a clear enough answer.
>
> Having non-US inside main would be confusing, because it would
> imply that such software is DFSG free, however, I don't think the
> DFSG allows software that has export restrictions...
>
> Please correct me though if I am wrong...

Consider yourself corrected.  =>

non-us is currently an evil mess that Debian can do next to nothing
about.  To correct this, we are likely to be making use of a new machine
shortly possibly in a new location.  At that point non-us will be broken
down into the same main/contrib/non-free we have now.

(Anyone else get the idea this question should be a FAQ item or
something?)

To boldly go where no bunch of geeks have gone before :)   --Joel Klecker