Re: moving contrib & non-free (was: Re: KDE)

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 02:32:28PM -0500, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Montreal Thu Mar 11 14:20:26 1999
>
> Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> > Previously Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > > Is it problematic to use virtual domains and a symlink tree to hide non-free
> > > under some hostname, for Free Software advocats?
> >
> > Yes, FTP can only do IP-based virtual hosting. The reason I haven't
> > come up with a nice proposal yet is that it's a complex solution. Here
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > are some issues:
> >
> > Given that:
> > 1) we want to make the distinction between main (the Debian
> >    distribution) and the rest (contrib & non-free) more clear. The best
> >    way seems to be to move contrib and non-free to another (virtual)
> >    host
> > 2) moving things to another host means that all mirrors will suddenly
> >    stop mirroring contrib and non-free unless they manually add that
> >
> > 2 is a bit troublesome. Somewhere I wouldn't really mind if that
> > happens: we still have contrib and non-free and anyone can get them, but
> > we can't handle the load for that. We would need mirrors.
> >
> > Now a mirror can mirror both main and the rest, and even put symlinks
> > back in debian/dists so users can use a single tree. But then we would
> > end up with mirror in debian.org which don't have the split anymore..
> > We also can't ask our mirrors to do virtual hosting, since not every
> > mirror has a second IP available.
> >
> > My current favourite is moving contrib and nonfree to nonfree.debian.org
> > (or nondfsg.debian.org), and asking our mirrors to mirror that as
> > /debian-non-free (or /debian-nondfsg). That way will continue to make
> > everything available to our users, while having a ftp.debian.org with
> > only our official distribution (ie main).
>
> And all of this justs goes to illustrate how ridiculous and needlessly
> time consuming this whole matter is.  Like someone else mentioned,
> this is a step backward from a nice, simple, unambiguous situation.
>
> I see little evidence that people are thinking that Debian endorses
> non-free and contrib software.  One person stated that he could not
> make the difference in dselect and that apt fetches contrib/non-free
> by default, so perhaps you want to make this clearer (eg, better
> documentation/presentation) on the dselect/apt end although I
> personally do not see a need.
>
> -N.

In fact, why not just remove the non-free and contrib from your apt source
line if your really worried?

< deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/linux/distributions/debian slink main contrib non-free
--
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/linux/distributions/debian slink main

Chris

The box said "Windows 95, NT or better" .. so I installed Debian Linux
Reply with subject 'request key' for PGP public key.  KeyID 0xA9E087D5