Re: My views on release management

[ sorry about the delay ]

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 03:27:58PM +0100, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > >   * Have a pre-freeze of one or two weeks, during which new packages
> > > can be held until after the freeze so that they can be installed in
                                ^^^ 'beginning of the' is missing here.

> > > the next "unstable".
> >
> > I'd suggest something like this:
>
> [snipped]
>
> Wow, a Debian release in three mails :-)

I hope it'll get that easy :)

> I think I have to explain the technicalities a bit more.  The proposed
> pre-freeze is quite different from the "degrees of freeze" we've had
> before, since the release will not actually be frozen during it.
>
> >From the viewpoint of a single release such as potato,
>
> During development:
>   D1. Packages are installed automatically once a day, except for packages
>       that require manual processing.
>   D2. New uploads go into potato by default.

Where 'potato' means the current distribution named 'unstable'.

> During freeze:
>   F1. All packages uploaded to potato are held for confirmation.

...from the release manager - that was being done for slink.

>   F2. Uploads only go into potato if they are specifically targeted for it.

Uploads only go into potato if they contain 'frozen' in their distribution
field? That was also being done for slink.

> With a pre-freeze I hope to get some of the advantages of F1, without
> giving up D1 and especially D2.  As long as D2 holds, potato does not
> "age", and minor bugfixes get in unimpeded.

Aha, so you just want to add one more 'layer' in that period: checking
the packages like they are going to a 'frozen' (which is where they
will eventually end up)? That is also good, and requires less interaction
by maintainers and OTOH more carefulness by maintainers.

Be sure to post about the beginning of the 'cooling' period to
-devel-announce and -private, or people will be getting pissed
off if you "suddenly" don't install their packages which bring
new exciting features etc etc :)