Re: KDE

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Navindra Umanee wrote:

> Montreal Wed Mar 10 11:08:49 1999
>
> Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > So, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that we more clearly separate the
> > sections.
>
> The sections have been clearly separated for a long time.  In fact,
> that's whole reason for the beginning of this thread: someone
> complaining that certain software was not in main.  I said, there was
> no practical difference and almost everyone jumped on me for saying
> that.  Clearly there was a big difference in the minds of people.

As there should be.  There is a big difference.

One is an official part of Debian.  The other is a service we provide as a
concession to the needs of our users, and the fact that there are still a
few holes in the 'free arsenal' of software.

> If Debian wants to more clearly separate things, why not go the whole
> way and get rid of contrib and non-free altogether?  That would send a
> clear nonhypocritical unambiguous message and has the advantage of
> eliminating political nonsense.  Though I guess that would require
> modifying the Debian pledge and that means more political stuff.

Because, at this stage, we still wish to uphold the needs of our users in
this.

In fact, I personally would have no problem with ditching non-free
completely.  However, if other people want to do the work to see that it
continues to exist, I don't have a problem with that.

Jules