Re: KDE

Montreal Wed Mar 10 11:08:49 1999

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> So, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that we more clearly separate the
> sections.

The sections have been clearly separated for a long time.  In fact,
that's whole reason for the beginning of this thread: someone
complaining that certain software was not in main.  I said, there was
no practical difference and almost everyone jumped on me for saying
that.  Clearly there was a big difference in the minds of people.

If Debian wants to more clearly separate things, why not go the whole
way and get rid of contrib and non-free altogether?  That would send a
clear nonhypocritical unambiguous message and has the advantage of
eliminating political nonsense.  Though I guess that would require
modifying the Debian pledge and that means more political stuff.

-N.