Re: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 09:39:06PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > what has that got to do with the GPL?
> >
> > all that this proves is that one particular problem has not attracted
> > anyone with enough time/interest/skill to solve it yet.
> >
> > if you really want a free dvd driver, then reverse engineer the
> > binary-only driver and start writing it. yes, that IS hard work - Free
> > Software isn't the same thing as a Free Lunch.
>
> It's also illegal in my police state to reverse engineer software
> protected by IP laws..  You are advocating I do something illegal because
> the company will not?

Which police State do you live in?
I thought (it has been a while) that you lived in the US?

if so then I have seen many companies CLAIM that it is illegal to
reverse engineer their IP...I have seen licenses which specifically
tell you not to...
However I am aware of no law or legal precident which backs up these
claims. In fact...I have heard statements from some claiming that
reverse engineering is not only not illegal, but protected under
copyright law (not specifically...but certainly could be argued to
fall under "fair Use")

If you live in a difernt police state...then all bets are off (well they
are here too...). I have even heard of proposed laws which would specifically
make illegal reverse engineering...however I am not aware of any currently
existing.

-Steve
"People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw orgies"
                -- The Mahareeshi Hashish Yogi