Re: Directory enabled distribution

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 02:40:13PM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

>     John> I agree - though I think it is a good exercise to have two
>     John> ldap packages in the system - perhaps Netscape will release
>     John> their Directory server for Linux and we would be able to
>     John> easily switch between that and openldap.
>
> It seems like they have:
> 	'http://home.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease735.html?cp=nwb03flh1'

The netscape LDAP api is available at ftp.mozilla.org and is
distributed under the MPL, there is no server, it is just a client API.

> I've been trying to figure out and understand what is going on this
> (and other) threads. What is LDAP/PAM/whatever, and how to
> use/administer it...
>
> Could anyone kick me in the right direction for a FAQ/HOWTO please?

For LDAP, try www.openldap.org, there are alot of links to resources as
well as the main guide from Umich.

>     >> If we can make this an additional goal for potato, we will be
>     >> able to mark ourselves the FIRST completely directory enabled
>     >> distribution (not just Linux either, all OS's), I don't think
>     >> there are any other systems that enable LDAP to this extent (NT
>     >> 5 doesn't count, it's still beta, plus their LDAP is "embraced
>     >> and extentended").
>
> Whatever it it, it sounds good 'Linux is the first Linux distribution
> with xxxxx' :)

No, "Debian is the first completely directory enabled operating system" :)

>     John> At work many of our systems are Netware Directory Services
>     John> based, and it shows that directory enabled operating systems
>     John> are the way to go for managing thousands of users across
>     John> hundreds of servers. LDAP is still a long way behind NDS in
>     John> many areas (e.g. replication) and NDS is already built in to
>     John> most of the Netware applications, but LDAP is now developing
>     John> very quickly and, as an open standard, has more long term
>     John> potential.
>
> Ahhh... so LDAP is an atempt to duplicate NDS ?

No, LDAP has been around longer, and NDS is based on it, iirc (I could
be wrong on this factoid). Actually directories have been around a long
time, think back to X500, which is where LDAP finds it roots.

OpenLDAP Core - bcollins@openldap.org                 bcollins@debian.org
UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems         The Choice of the GNU Generation