Re: Directory enabled distribution

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 07:52:43AM +0000, John Lines wrote:

> > - Network configuration database. For example to store 'status' and
> > 'available' info for packages. Would allow for easier system
> > maintainence of large to medium networks. More than likely this would
> > be implemented as a backend to what the admintool people are working
> > on.
> >
> I think this is a great idea - we would want a Debian specific objectclass
> (debianSystem) with objects which contain the output of dpkg --get-selections
> for any particular machine. Running apt-get or similar would look up the
> local host and get the selections it was supposed to have.

Yes, an official objectClass needs to be defined, maybe we need a
debian-ldap list to converse over these types of subjects.

> > >  2) Do we have an LDAP browser?  I tried the Windows version that
> > >     Michigan distributed and found it wanting.
> >
> > I have been looking at some of the GUI browsers, as well as some web
> > based browsers using php3. This kind of usage is what it will take to
> > make LDAP approachable by most people.
> >
> The directory bits of Netscape 4.5 are quite good as a browser for the people
> bits.

With a proper filter configuration and attributes/objectClass settings,
I think Netscape's browser along with the web gateway can do a lot as
far as editing and browsing go. I've also found that the ud-openldap
util is very good for a command line browser, very shell like.

OpenLDAP Core - bcollins@openldap.org                 bcollins@debian.org
UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems         The Choice of the GNU Generation