Re: Bug #32888: I think this is a bug in apt.

On Fri, Mar 05, 1999 at 11:37:09AM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 02:40:30PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > > IMHO, it is not a bug that dpkg lets the user to remove an essential
> > > package by using
> > >
> > > dpkg --force-remove-essential --remove essentialpackage
> >
> > dpkg should let you do it [...]
>
> No, dpkg does *not* let you do it:
>
> # dpkg --remove gzip
> dpkg: error processing gzip (--remove):
>  This is an essential package - it should not be removed.
>  gzip
>
> If you think dpkg should let you to do it, submit a bug against
> dpkg so that --force-remove-essential is on by default.

No, that's not what I meant at all. I meant that "dpkg
--force-remove-essential" should remove the package as requested. However,
we should attempt to ensure that this does not hose the system. Although
we do warn the user that they should not use --force-remove-essential,
I think this is a special case.

Hamish