Re: XPM

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Josip Rodin wrote:

> Wouldn't it be less harmful if I made this new version with names
> changed - because xpm4g 3.4j-0.8 and libxpm4 3.4k-1 don't share any files
> (I think so, but I'll check). Everything that just needs libXpm.so.4.10
> works, and everything that just needs libXpm.so.4.11 works.

The soname is libXpm.so.4 in both cases (probably, I can only check the
current version), so those symlinks conflict.
Unless we get versioned provides, I'd suggest a name change when the
soname changes, then there won't be any problems with broken versioned
depends, because the packages will have to be recompiled (and if the
soname changes the package name changes too anyway)
And about the problem mentioned by Santiago (dpkg doesn't support package
renaming), it does not apply here, because this is only a library package,
you'd install it only because of dependencies.

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/