Re: Releasing Slink (was Re: Please add new version of Release-Notes)

Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> The slink release has been a mess, culminating in a last-minute "sorry, we
> missed it again" announcement. If we're going to release properly next
> Tuesday at 00:00 GMT, then we need a schedule like the following:

> 1. Fixes needed for each set allowed in Tue, Wed, Thu and then _no more
>    uploads_ for any reason. At all. None.

Guy (and whoever else is doing ftp):

   The files:

     kernel-image-2.2.1-sparc64_2.2.1_sparc.deb
     kernel-image-2.2.1_2.2.1_sparc.deb
     kernel-source-sparc-2.2.1_2.2.1.diff.gz
     kernel-source-sparc-2.2.1_2.2.1.dsc
     kernel-source-sparc-2.2.1_2.2.1.orig.tar.gz
     kernel-source-sparc-2.2.1_2.2.1_sparc.changes

   are sitting in incoming. (Dated Feb 28.)  They must be installed
   into slink before the CD images are made.  They are the binary
   packages for the 2.2.1 kernels on the Slink/Sparc boot disks and
   CDROMs (needed for Ultra and some 32-bit platforms).  Currently
   there are no binary packages for these kernels in Slink.  If these
   do not exist, user that require these kernels will not have a
   binary package for their kernel.  (Hence, IIRC, no System.map for
   syslog or ps.)

> 3. On Friday final images are made for each of the release architectures.
>    I can do i386 and source, we need volunteers for m68k, alpha and sparc.
>    Let us know ASAP if you can help. Steve, you willing to do sparc still?
>    In theory, one person could do all of them, but in practice this just
>    does not work. And these need to be sanity checked before we pronounce
>    them ready to go.

I'm still willing to do sparc.  The new boot floppies are already
installed in the tree.  dpkg and the Ultra kernel are still in
incoming.  Hopefully they won't be in 2 hours.  If these are installed
today, I will (after the masterfiles cron job is done) update my mirror
of master and prepare CD images.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu