Re:Releasing Slink

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Brent A. Fulgham wrote:

> PROPOSAL FOR PRODUCT RELEASE
>
> 1.  Release Slink this week, as currently scheduled.
> 2.  Immediately create a new frozen containing the existing slink
> packages, adding only the new XFREE86-3.3.3.1, GNOME-1.0, and
> kernel-2.2.2.  We could call this Slink-B (or something).  The only new
> release-critical bugs we should introduce are related to these new
> packages.  We should be able to target a 30-day release of this
> "upgrade" to provide time for testing.

This is a short term patch ...

> 3.  Release Potato (with new Glib, Perl 5.005, graphical install,
> etc.) during our July/August time-frame.

... on a long term problem.  I hope to get some ideas together with
Richard Braakman (sp?) and go over things with the list next week after
the release.  I don't think 3 will happen without a longer delay simply
because the number of volunteers releasing new packages seems to be
growing faster than the number of volunteers trying to release a stable
version.  We need a way to make a freeze easier by design without hurting
unstable.  If anyone has any ideas or pointers to previous ones in the
archives, feel free to send them my way and I'll summarize them to the
list next week.

Thanks,
Brandon

P.S. I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with 2.  I'm not quite sure what to
think of it.

| Brandon Mitchell  bmitch@atdot.org  http://bmitch.dhis.org/  ICQ 30631197 |
| Throughout history, UNIX systems have regulary been broken into, beaten,  |
| brutalized, corrupted, commandeered, compromised, and illegally fscked.   |
|                                    -- UNIX System Administration Handbook |