Re: glibc 2.1 and compatibility (Was: slink is gone, goals for potato?

On Wednesday 3 March 1999, at 19 h 43, the keyboard of Hamish Moffatt
<hamish@debian.org> wrote:

> Lots of slink packages depend on libc6 >= 2.0.7u;

This was a mistake in one version of libc6-dev, related to the
register-frame-info problem (it was fixed later and the libc6-dev in slink is
correct) I seriously suggested several times that all the packages with that
mistake should be recompiled to avoid uneeded dependencies.

> Let's be realistic; newer packages are going to need newer libraries.
> In short: I do not think what you are asking is possible. The problems
> you describe already exist.

It can be more or less present. When Mesa went from mesa2 in hamm to mesa3 in
slink, it made the same problem, but for a very small number of packages. But
libc is another game.

> This is already true; it's very likely that your packages cannot be installed
> on a hamm system,

They can. I tested it.