install-info problems

Hi,

I was doing a periodic upgrade on of our potato systems and ran into a
problem with packages that install info files.  Basically, any time
install-info is invoked from a {pre,post}{inst,rm} script install-info
comes back with a "no dir file specified" error (something like that).
However, all of my other potato systems upgraded without problems.  I did
take a look at some of the prerm scripts and none of them specifed a `dir'
file.

So, does anyone have ideas what the problem might be?  As it stands, I
can't do any upgrades now since dpkg chokes on the install-info errors.
Some of the "brokenly" installed packages include dpkg, bash, cpio, g++,
etc.

TIA,
-Ossama
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
58 60 1A E8 7A 66 F4 44  74 9F 3C D4 EF BF 35 88  1024/8A04D15D 1998/08/26