Re: slink is gone, goals for potato?

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 01:11:20PM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 12:45:23AM +0000, Edward Betts wrote:
> > together, but I think our main goal should be to have no release goals :-)

> I think:
> If we have release slink und we don't get many bugreports, we make a new
> round and frozen potato.
> We have > 300 new packages in potato and many packages have new (higher)
> version numbers.
>
> Let release slink, wait 2-6 weeks and make a frozen and a new stable.
>

> Ok? Comments?

That's the general idea I'd like to see too.  Slink was delayed far
too long (at least enough to make many people complain about Debian's
outdatedness and switch to "unstable" before slink was frozen).  It
would be nice to sort off "clean the table" as far as up-to-date
versions are concerned and then go on with the list given by Edward.
This way we might be able to present an up-to-date version on the
pretty well-testted and debugged foundations of slink.

In a way, this might lead to a healthy "stare-case" - one release for
update of infrastructure (slink, in that case) and the next for an
update of package versions (right now potato) since the infrastructure
may take so long to test.  It might not fit for all times, but at the
current situation this sounds reasonable to me.

Cheers,

--Amos

--
--Amos Shapira                  | "Of course Australia was marked for
amos@gezernet.co.il             |  by the finest judges in England."