Re: Can I stop xdm/wdm from always starting up?

> Well, can I? :-)
>
> Let's me explain the problem: Somewhere along these last big changes in X,
> something was lost (I think). In the old days, there was an option in
> /etc/X11/config that gives you the chance to start (or not) xdm/wdm: If you
> has a line like 'start-xdm' on that file, the xdm was started every time you
> boot the machine, but if you changed that line to something like
> 'no-start-xdm', then xdm didn't start, and you end up with the console login.
> As my linux box is mine, all mine and nothing but mine :-)), sometimes
> (especially when trying something more dangerous in X) I wanted to start the
> plain console, and then try X using startx.
>
> Well, now this is gone :-(, or not? Are the any _right_ way to do this now?

d185d0f91:phouchg[3]~% grep xdm /etc/X11/config
no-start-xdm

and as far as i can tell, that's the only thing keeping xdm from starting up
on me (i definitely have it installed and i know i didn't mess w/ any of the
init.d scripts).

HTH, HAND.
--phouchg

The reader this signature encounters not failing to understand is cursed.