Can I stop xdm/wdm from always starting up?

Well, can I? :-)

Let's me explain the problem: Somewhere along these last big changes in X,
something was lost (I think). In the old days, there was an option in
/etc/X11/config that gives you the chance to start (or not) xdm/wdm: If you
has a line like 'start-xdm' on that file, the xdm was started every time you
boot the machine, but if you changed that line to something like
'no-start-xdm', then xdm didn't start, and you end up with the console login.
As my linux box is mine, all mine and nothing but mine :-)), sometimes
(especially when trying something more dangerous in X) I wanted to start the
plain console, and then try X using startx.

Well, now this is gone :-(, or not? Are the any _right_ way to do this now?

I've hacked my system to do this, through a change in /etc/init.d/[xw]dm,
but if there is a _right_ way to allow me to do this, I didn't have to mess
around with these scripts.

Thanks.
Pedro Guerreiro