Re: is GNOME the future default desktop?

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 09:54:17AM -0500, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:
> > GNUStep isn't actually useful for anything except developers who
> > like doing NextStep type hackery. there are no apps or anything that
> > uses it.
>
> Have you tried Window Maker recently?

i use WindowMaker every day.  WM is not GNUstep, it's a window manager.

> Did you know that GNUStep alpha was recently released?

does it have any useful apps or is it still only a neat hack for
developers?

> For that matter, isn't GNOME still alpha, unstable, and only for
> developers who want 3 or 4 copies of GTK+ lying around?

it's alpha. it mostly works. it has many useful apps and applets and
games.

> The point is that Debian should not be one to judge here.  If Debian
> is one to judge, then go ahead, make an official decision and
> announcement.

debian did judge, some time ago. we decided that we would support gnome
as the only (at the time) viable free software desktop environment.

as yet there has been no reason to reverse that decision. when KDE's
license has actually changed is the right time to look into that
decision again.

craig

--
craig sanders