Re: is GNOME the future default desktop?

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 08:45:01PM -0500, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> > wait until the KDE/Qt licensing problems are fixed before doing anything
> > about it.
>
> By the way, GNOME and KDE are not the only desktop projects.  For
> example, another one is GNUStep.

GNUStep isn't actually useful for anything except developers who like doing
NextStep type hackery.  there are no apps or anything that uses it.

> > it's not important.
>
> It may not be important to you but the main reason I sent the original
> email is that the statement in question was actually being used
> as fuel against KDE.

tough. their license is a (currently) a problem and KDE will not be an
official part of debian until their licensing problems are fixed.

> Afterall, why bother fixing KDE problems to Debian's satisfaction if
> KDE's fate has already been decided?

one could as well ask "why bother fixing the license when nobody is
complaining about it?"

when they fix their license problems is when we should change our public
stance. not before.

fortunately, it looks likely to be fixed soon.

craig

PS: i repeat: it's not important.

--
craig sanders