Re: slink's dpkg

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Thursday 25 February 1999, at 11 h 55, the keyboard of Santiago Vila
> <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
>
> > Fine. So: since we are unable to fix a grave bug, we release anyway.
> > Since when the quality is not the most important thing in Debian?
> >
> > What do the release manager and the dpkg maintainers think about this?
>
> Santiago, before you ignite another flame war, consider the situation of dpkg:
> we have now a CVS tree of dpkg, which matches the current dpkg package. But it
> is very recent and not many people worked on it.
>
> Several people expressed interest in modifications of dpkg. Ian Jackson
> rebutted them all, saying he was planning a major reorganisation of the code
> and that they should not work on the old tree. IMHO, a good idea would be to
> CVS-branch right now so that volunteers could fix the main trunk, while Ian
> works on the new version.
>
> And, the main thing: dpkg frightens many people. There are not many volunteers
> to change it, even for things which seem trivial changes like this one.

I don't want to open a flame war, I just want to know how things are done,
and what is our current policy about grave bugs and the release.

As far as I know, grave bugs delay the release until they are fixed.
I just want to know: Are we going to make an exception for dpkg?

If yes, then please clearly say so.

I will not blame anybody for not fixing this bug, because we are all
volunteers, but I wonder if we are applying policy differently for
different packages (I would like to be wrong).

Thanks.

--
 "15a3b3c8963c98b49e25d317f21360f4" (a truly random sig)