Re: soliciting opinions about potential new cron/at features.

On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 12:32:05AM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:
> Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> writes:
>
> > No, if the user has a crontab, try to run .cron.d/ scripts.  This
> > should be a fairly cheap setup.  Or even have a --user-has-crond
> > (like your -e).  The user never has to know this exists, GnuCash or
> > whatever can be in complete control.  Just like Debian users are not
> > aware of the /etc/cron.d -- until the need to know.  Scripts handle
> > everything.
>
> This seems essentially the same as my proposal, except that I think
> the files should be put in /var/spool/cron/somewhere, and they should
> be managed with the existing crontab mechanism.
>
> --
> Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> PGP=E80E0D04F521A094 532B97F5D64E3930

Pardon me for butting in here...

I've been following this thread for a while now, and I may be dense,
but I can't see the logic of using cron, or at, or any other system
scheduling event to handle automatic transactions in a financial
program.  GnuCash (or for that matter, cbb or any of the others)
should always consider its data files 'sacred', and never rely on
other programs (over which it has absolutely no control) to modify
them in any way.  IMHO, this type of application is critical enough
to justify the extra code required to provide GnuCash with its own
scheduling capabilities.

Just my $.02(US)...

Mike
--