Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd (+binary compatablity?)

    Reply-to, reply-to..

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:44:29 +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:

>> That doesn't say much for Red Hat, then, does it, who makes their
>> business on supporting Linux.

>their business is selling linux CDs and support.  it's not fine-tuning
>high-performance network servers.

    You don't consider performance tuning support?

>anecdotal accounts aren't worth much, though.

    Exactly, why do you think I am citing a specific factual source?  I
could go on about what our servers are doing here, both good and bad for
both Linux and FreeBSD but that isn't the point.

>BTW, IIRC dejanews is linux based. hunt around on the net, there's
>probably more linux boxes running big sites than you'd think.

    Probably not.  I know about Dejanews and quite a few others.  But that
does not go to state that Linux' network code is faster than FreeBSD's
network code which is where I started this thread by playing Devil's
Advocate.  I have cited a factual, real world source of FreeBSD's grace
under pressure.  417Gb in a day.  Where are the Linux numbers to support the
claim that Linux' network code is superior?

- --

- --