Re: It's time to talk about Free Software

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> What on earth are you talking about the OSD == the DFSG at this pouint, and
> I have seen no substantiated instances of ESR calling something Open Source
> that we would not agree is DFSG free.
>
> I dislike the term open source as much as you, but you're jumping at shadows.

Well, it's this way - either we trust OSI to certify only free
software as Open Source or we don't.  If we don't, then (most of) my
long post stands.  If we do, then we should probably just give them
the legal claim to the mark and be done with it.  I don't understand
what Wichert is talking about when he mentions "damage control" - I
don't see what we can do with the mark that will actually accomplish
anything.

And yes, perhaps I was jumping at shadows a bit.