Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Phillip R. Jaenke wrote:

 :
 : On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Nathan E Norman wrote:
 :
 : > On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Phillip R. Jaenke wrote:
 : > [ snip ]
 : >  : Right there, it says it all. You can charge all you want for GPL. Even if
 : >  : you aren't the author. So long as you include the license, and the source
 : >  : code, it's perfectly within the GPL. So the leeches can continue to leech
 : >  : to their accounting department's content.
 : >
 : > But the GPL does force you to grant others the same rights you have -
 : > ownership of the code.  John is saying that the BSD license doesn't
 : > enforce this right - vendors don't have to release their code
 : > improvements.
 :
 : RedHat's XBF (X Binaries Free) project. Need I say more? Actually, yes, I
 : probably do.

X isn't under the GPL.  You lose this point :)

[ snip ]

 : > Buy a binary license for BSDi and then ask to see their source code.
 : > They'll want to see your money first.
 :
 : Ask Caldera to see their source code. They'll want to see your money
 : first too.

Uh, what?  Caldera must show you the source code for any GPL software
they sell you - obviously they're not obligated to do so for non-GPL
software!  I don't see you winning this point either.

You are trying to argue that people are abusing the GPL here, aren't
you?  If you're trying to argue that it's evil and wrong for compaines
to sell GPLed software then you need to check out the FSF home page.

 : > [ I still do think Debian-packaged BSD could be cool, but there are
 : > obviously a lot of ancillary issues ]
 :
 : Agreed, without a second thought.

At least we agree on this!

I hope you are able to get the ball rolling on the RS/6000 stuff too -
it's good hardware.

Cheers,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD