Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 02:59:17PM -0500, Phillip R. Jaenke wrote:

> > > John, why don't you look at the GPL sometime. While it isn't mentioned, it
> > > ISN'T PROTECTED. In case you haven't noticed, Caldera, RedHat, and Pacific
> > > Hi-Tech are doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING WITH LINUX!
> > No they're not.  Look at RedHat.  The source comes with it.
>
> Same with Caldera. Same with SuSE. That's not the point.
>
> > How is that the same as companies taking it over and then closing the
> > source?
>
> That's not the point here, John; the point is that companies can make

I find it interesting that you are trying to tell me what point I'm making.

> profit off it. As it stands, it would not be in a company's best interests

So what if companies can make a profit off it?  RMS doesn't care.  If he
doesn't, why should we?

The point is that with a BSD license, people can take the code and run with
it, without any obligation to give the source back.  This is not so with
GPL, and this is an extremely important difference.