Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 11:27:41AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 09:54:10AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 04:27:16PM -0600, =>Merlin<= wrote:
> >
> > > I don't see any point to this entire debate - FreeBSD is just another
> > > kernel.  If people want to work on it, fine.
> >
> > yep.
>
> NO!  Is nobody noticing that FreeBSD is BSD license, not GPL?  That
> commercial people can "adopt" it for binary form, and exploit our hard work?
> That this opens up a SERIOUS vulnerability for the free software community?

They certainly couldn't "adopt" a Debian GNu FreeBSD and turn it into a
proprietory distribution. The same way that they couldn't "adopt" Debian
Gnu Linux. read /usr/doc/copyright/GPL and /usr/doc/dpkg/copyright for
example.

Are you saying that we should remove all BSD licensed packages from Debian,
as they could be forked and made proprietary ? Goodbye XFree86...

FreeBsd is only a kernel and this kernel can and was adopted for proprietary
purpose already. Why adopting it for our own purpose bad? Our purpose is
to make DFSG software available. The BSD license is DFSG compliant.

Regards,

	E.