Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 12:34:57PM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> Yes, exactly.  I have used FreeBSD.  What do we have to offer them,
> honestly?  Frankly, they have a lot to offer US.  Their One Central CVS
> Tree, for instance.  make world is a wondrous thing.  It ensures the system
> never gets inconsistent with regard to libraries and such.  Ditto for "make
> update"

Why must we ship a FreeBSD kernel in order to add these features to our
distribution?  Frankly, I don't follow the logic here.

> I like knowing that, if the binary is on my system, then so is the source.
> Debian comes in close second, because I know I can always get the source
> from our website, unlike other Linux dists where I have to hunt stuff down.
>
> Also, the FreeBSD install is VERY nice.

Obviously you've never tried to upgrade a FreeBSD machine then.  You have to
take it down, boot from floppy, and pray your config files are not
overwritten -- usually you end up rewriting them, or copying old ones back
in place, vainly hoping they will work.