Re: Release-critical Bugreport for February 19, 1999

On 19 Feb 1999, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> BugScan reporter <wakkerma@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Package: mtools (main)
> > Maintainer: Mark Eichin <eichin@thok.org>
> >   23923  mtools: Syntax error at line 3 column 0 in file /etc/mtools.conf: unrecognized keyword
>
> Come on!!! This is not a bug [...]

This has been reported three times, please read the *three* bug reports
before saying "it is not a bug".

I'll explain: The conffile in hamm's mtools was functional. Therefore many
people had this file *untouched*.

But when you upgrade mtools from hamm to slink and you have *not* mofified
the configuration file for mtools, dpkg replaces, *without* asking
a working configuration file by a non-working one (because of dpkg
handling of "conffiles").

The result is that mtools stops working from hamm to slink, but surely you
should not reconfigure a package every time you upgrade it.

In this case I think it is much better to have in slink the same mtools
version as in hamm and for this reason I marked this bug as "important"
(so that at least we do not break any existing setup). However, it seems
this is going to be fixed the right way, fortunately.

Thanks.