Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 10:41:23AM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > If it had the drivers I needed I would run it. As Andy Tanenbaum
> > (ast@cs.vu.nl) author of MINIX said in early 1992 - LINUX is obsolete.
> > It is a monolithic kernel you have to reboot every time you change a small
> > part of it, say to correct a DOS in the tcp/ip stack.
>
> What about modules? Best of both worlds perhaps -- you can replace small
> pieces (within reason), but you don't get the performance loss of
> message passing systems like MINIX.
>
> Many end users probably prefer the performance benefits.

Most users prefer end-user simplicity.  You think they run windoze for
its stability or its performance?  No, they run it because they don't
have to mess with the guts of the system.  =>

--
"There are 3 things to remember about being a Starship Captain:
 Keep your shirt tucked in, go down with the ship, and never,