Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 09:53:09PM -0500, Phillip R. Jaenke wrote:
> I'm no FreeBSD advocate. In truth, I believe that they could use a lot of
> help from us, as they're lagging behind. But that's not what I'm going to
> talk about. I have a rule; I won't put down any one variant unless I'm
> doing a comparison. And this isn't a comparison.
>
> I personally can see absolutely *no* reason NOT to do Debian/GNU FreeBSD.
> Nor do I see any reason not to do Debian/GNU Hurd. Or any other open
> source unix variant that there is.

There's no reason not to do it really... but who would use it?
Existing Debian users are probably pretty happy with the Linux kernel.
Existing FreeBSD users are probably pretty happy with their existing
installation and management system. (To us Debian users, it looks terrible --
I've tried it and didn't think much of it -- but to FreeBSD users it's
probably fine.)

> I've talked with a lot of webmaster types. And the word on the street is
> that they prefer FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD. They handle higher loads better
> than Linux, supposedly. Now, if I'm not mistaken, it's "Software in the

I think that's a myth. A Debian FreeBSD might look like we're confirming it.

Hamish