Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:38:36 +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 03:43:21PM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, =>Merlin<= wrote:

>> > I don't see any point to this entire debate - FreeBSD is just another
>> > kernel.  If people want to work on it, fine.

>> No. Its a "system".  Until there is a Linux distro out there that has a
>> plausible "make world" scheme, Linux will never be as good as FreeBSD.

    I beg to differ.  Make world is nothing to crow about.  Esp. when
coworkers tell me to upgrade their system "all" they do is a CVSUP and make
world.  Yeah, that's fun, not.

>I think "make world" is unnecessary (as implemented in FreeBSD) for us.
>We have dependencies to ensure that all packages interoperate correctly.

    Exactly.

>A "make world" to rebuild all packages might be useful (eg new architectures)
>but that is entirely different to FreeBSD's system.

    Again, quite true.  In fact, make world's only other usefulness is that
everything is "custom compiled" for the machine it is on.  For me, unless
something needs to be custom compiled (kernel or performance optimizations
of a system daemon) I don't see a need for that.

>I think FreeBSD's ports system has merit; it is similar in function to our
>package system, but (a) saves disk space by not distributing pre-compiled
>binaries, and (b) obtains the source directly from the original location
>(AFAIK). We could do something like this quite easily, if we wanted.
>Our ports files consist of the .dsc and the .diff.gz; the .orig.tar.gz
>is the upstream source to be FTPd. Then package building is easy.

    I consider that a detriment.  Ever try to install something from the
ports tree on an older distribution?  The original source may be renamed or
be moved.  It works, but I much prefer precompiled with the option to custom
compile and how dpkg, dselect, apt work together.

    I have to work with FreeBSD machines all the time at work, I don't like
them one bit.  I run Debian at home by choice and have Debian on the
laptop I bought and comfigured expressly for work.  Debian, to me, is far
superior.  Not perfect, but I don't see anything in the way that FreeBSD
does anything that would be of any merit to Debian.  OTOH, Debianizing
FreeBSD would be nice since I do recognize the technical merits that FreeBSD
has over Linux.

- --