Re: Debian Logo *Idea* Contest! (Delay for painting contest required)

Andreas Tille wrote:

> So let us define first, *what* we want to show on our logo.
> This is always the first step in software related things.  Wy did
> we step over it??

Actually, I tried to start with that.  Look in the debian-devel archives
for a thread entitled "Mascot for Debian" (or something like that).

> Idea no. 1:  Orca for Debian

Um, this is actually idea number 24 or so.  :-)

We batted around a bunch of mascot ideas.  I believe dolphins were
suggested, but not Orca.  OTOH, several people were objecting to the use
of carnivores, which would disqualify Orca.  :-)

After watching the lengthy debate that ensued following my lone innocent
post, I decided that we might as well allow the artists the freedom to
propose ideas through their art, rather than trying to force them to
render a pre-selected image.  This follows the traditional Debian cry:
"show me the code!"  Those who actually *do* the work are in charge.
:-)

Here's a scattering of other proposals that came out of the earlier
thread:

1.  Dragon
2.  Octopus
3.  Monkey
4.  Flying pig
5.  Ant
6.  Bee
7.  Dolphin
8.  Monkey
9.  Eagle

And that's just what I can recall without browsing the thread.  A number
of those had, er, philosophical arguments behind them, much as you had
with your proposal.

My suggestion: if you like the idea of Orca, create a logo and submit
it.  Note that the fans of the octopus and the bee already have logo
submissions in the Gimp contest.