Re: New imlib packages -- please test

tille@physik.uni-halle.de (Andreas Tille) writes:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Ossama Othman wrote:
>
> > Too late, it broke again. :(  I flushed out all of the GNOME related
> > packages, including glib, gtk and imlib, so that I could start with a
> > clean system.  I then installed gtk 1.1.15 and its dependencies.  After
> > that, I rebuilt the imlib packages and ended up getting the same
> > "fallback" errors again.
> >
> > I wish I new what was wrong.  It doesn't seem like an imlib issue.
> This idea is straightforeward, but I know the loading code of ImLib and
> can't imagine another reason fot the failure expect that the
> GDK related things only calls to the graphic libs (libpng, libtif, libjpeg,
> ...)  Does the ImLib example work?  My test program is in fact a
> cut-n-paste from the example in the ImLib HTML tutorial.

This may be completely unrelated, but since you're looking at imlib anyway..

I'm on a ppc system and I had some problems with imlib not finding the right
libraries (although now I'm not sure if the problem was at runtime or compile
time). One of the persistent problems I've had with libtool-built library
packages is that the shared library dependencies aren't done right, because of
a regexp in ltconfig that assumes that file(1)'s description of a linux shared
library will include the string "32-bit LSB shared object" in it. 'file'
returns "MSB shared object" on my (big-endian) system, and I assume Alphas
will specify 64-bit objects. I end up with a lot of warnings about "I can
arrange for dependency information to be placed in the library for -lpng.. if
you have shared libraries, which you don't".

The problem with this bug is that sometimes the results don't show up until
later, when you try to run something that was linked against the imlib with
the missing dependencies. It fails to include png, gif, all the other
libraries that imlib uses but the target program isn't aware of.

Anyway, it seemed like throwing out that idea might help. And if you happen to
be the one in charge of imlib (I'm still learning this whole debian thing.. is
this the kind of thing that I should put into the bug database?), if you could
consider patching ltconfig with a less i386-centric regexp, that would let me
start using the .deb instead of building my own..

thanks,
 -Brian
   warner@lothar.com