Re: What is the licence of Debian-specific files (Was: Intent to package "vibrant" graphical library

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 08:44:43AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > you can certainly release a BSD-licensed work with your patches and
> > license your changes under the GPL. this puts the entire derived work
> > under the terms of both the BSD license and the GPL.
>
> The real BSD, complete with its silly advertising clause, is incompatible
> with the GPL.

RMS has said that even the BSDish licenses without advertising clauses
are incompatible with the GPL.  He has said that the X license IS
compatible though, because you may essentially add any additional license
to the top--including a verbatim copy of the GPL if you wish.

That's what he said, though I disagree strongly with it.

--
Anticipation is the sweetest form of torture...