Re: soliciting opinions about potential new cron/at features.

brian@debian.org writes:

> Well, I was thinking of efficiency.  If you have say 50 users all
> using this mechanism who are doing nothing but processing automatic
> transactions once a day, then it makes more sense to me to handle
> that with one process rather than starting 50 separate processes all
> at the same time every day.

Ahh, but if I understand what you're suggestiing, it really has to be
50 separate processes since each user might have their own
~/.gnucash/config file which affects the behavior of *their* gnucash
invocations.

> As far as tracking stocks goes, wouldn't that job be better handled
> by its own special daemon, which runs in the background and wakes up
> every five minutes rather than starting a new process every 5
> minutes.

But who launches this daemon, and how do we make sure it stays
running?  (i.e. different shell exit behaviors, nohop issues, etc).
GnuCash is one of those apps that (eventually) needs to be *really*
solid.  Missing a payment because the user's locally run daemon got
killed when the system was reooted and never got re-started because
the user didn't log in for a few days (presuming they make sure it's
running in their .bashrc or something), just wouldn't be acceptable.
Running it from cron/at (as long as we get the GMT issue straightened
out :>), seems much more stable.

Does this make sense?