Re: sudo and cracklib

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 02:46:47PM -0500, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 06:26:01PM -0500, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> >
> > Personaly I don't see why the dictionary needs to be regenerated on
> > nightly basis considering the fact that it hardly ever changes except
> > after installing new dictionaries, which could be done in the postinst
> > of that disctionary. The command could then be left for the admin to
> > call if she/he installs distionaries by hand.
> >
> > As a matter of fact, I think I'll file a bug to this affect.
>
> My thinking here was that word lists could be generated from any
> number of sources including files such as /etc/passwd.  These could
> potentially change daily.

"Could be" means they don't by default, as in the default installation.
Nor do you give this option, nor do I think it is a good idea to give
them this option.

Also, on a hugely busy system the, /var/log/wtmp could grow out of
proportion on a daily basis, but we only rotate it once a week, since
that is the normal usage. Stick with common usage, which means, there
does not need to be a cron job to update a static default dictionary.

--
UnixGroup Admin                               <b.m.collins@larc.nasa.gov>