Re: What is the licence of Debian-specific files (Was: Intent to package "vibrant" graphical library

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 08:44:43AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Craig Sanders writes:
> > because the original work is public domain, you can even re-license the
> > entire work under your own terms...e.g. the GPL.
> You cannot relicense someone else's work.

You can redistribute their work on different terms to those given to you.

``You must pay me $5'' instead of ``You must pay Joe $5'', for example.

They can get it from someone other than you if they want, of course, and
if you're too much of a brat about it, they'll probably do it.

This is why Bruce's relicensing of the map data works: you can get it
from him with his license (GPLed), or you can get it from where he got
it, with their license (pay us lotsa money, then do whatever you like).

The only reason you wouldn't be able to do this is if the terms on which
you obtained the software said you could only redistribute it under some
particular terms, which the GPL does, but X (and BSD) like licenses don't.

Mmmmkay?

Cheers,
aj